In Christchurch, seventy reductions have been performed since 2008 using various Spinal Traction Unit prototypes with an 80% success rate. The success rate of the current device is approximately 90%. In unpublished data, the reductions that were done within the first 4-8 hours showed maximum motor gains with no Gardener-Wells pin cut outs. No patients had neurological deterioration.
- Lee AS, MacLean JC, Newton DA. Rapid traction for reduction of cervical spine dislocations. Bone & Joint Journal. 1994 May 1;76(3):352-6.
- Newton D, England M, Doll H, Gardner BP. The case for early treatment of dislocations of the cervical spine with cord involvement sustained playing rugby. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Dec 1;93(12):1646-52.
- Singhal et al presented at the ISCOS Conference in London 3-5 September 2012. Acute reduction of fracture/dislocation of cervical spine using Burwood traction reduction device . Prospective analysis of 31 cases.
- The window of 4 hours for spinal cord dislocation treatment logically fits into the 3-4 hour window one has for thrombolysis for stroke patients, as the spinal cord is an extension of the brain.
- NZ – 614809
- Australia – 2013311072
- UK – GB251992
- South Africa – 2015/02018
© 2019 Spinal Traction Ltd
41C Birmingham Drive
Middleton, Christchurch 8041
PO Box 29488, Riccarton